Monday, October 27, 2008

Blue Monday – Blue Lobster!?

Did you know that blue lobsters exist? I didn’t until last week…They are rare and maybe that is why we haven’t heard a lot about them. According to Wikipedia, "Around one in two million lobsters is blue. A research study conducted by Professor Ronald Christensen at the University of Connecticut discovered that a genetic defect causes a blue lobster to produce an excessive amount of protein. The protein, and a red carotenoid molecule known as astaxanthin, combine to form a blue complex known as crustacyanin, giving the lobster its blue color". The following photo is from Wikipedia as well...


For more wonderful posts with blue in them, check out Sally’s blog Smiling Sally.

Happy Blue Monday!

9 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I've never heard of a blue lobster! I wonder what color it turns when cooked. Purple? Does it affect the taste? Thanks for sharing. Happy Blue Monday!

Knitty said...

Wow! I have learned amazing things since blogging, including this info about blue lobsters and that neon pink katydids really do exist. Not every unusual thing is a result of photoshop!

Anonymous said...

That is crazy! Amazing.

Sweetie said...

No - I never heard of a blue lobster - I wonder how it tastes. I love lobster - I'll have to ask at my favorite sea food restaurant if they serve blue lobster. Happy Blue Monday.
Sweetie

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

My oh my, he is one rather beautiful speciman isn't he? I couldn't it him, I just couldn't! I wonder if he tastes any different. Okay, sorry! I haven't had my breakfast yet (blush)
Have a totally awesome blue Monday!

Anonymous said...

That's a beauty for sure. I don't think I've ever seen a blue lobster...

Coloradolady said...

What a great post. I have never seen a blue lobster. I tell ya' it's nice to learn something new everday in bloggerland. Have a great Blue Monday.

Neabear said...

I never have seen blue lobsters either. Thank you for the lesson. Happy Blue Monday!

Mojo said...

I was just wondering if they taste the same as other lobsters...

My Etsy Shops!